Thursday, May 6, 2010

License Update

A Director from the ROC told me that as regards my Residential License, the ceiling is now $1000, materials and labor combined. BUT other inspectors have suggested that if the work was part of a project $1000 or greater, than even a "contract" for $1 will exceed the threshold and be punishable as a Class 1 Misdemeanor. Maximum penalty: $2500 fine and 6 months in jail.

This Director suggested that since the statute DOESN'T SPECIFICALLY suggest that business of "a much larger project", it is not prosecutable. He suggested that it is specific for the project the unlicensed contractor is doing specifically.

But since many inspectors from that Agency want to enforce that business of within a larger project, I would suggest approaching it with caution.

Unfortunately the State Legislature, I have come to discover, have made statutes very ambiguous and in much need for clarification and refinement. In some sense, that is why I have found the need for creating still one more blog. My blog, Tile News. I will dedicate a good deal of that blog in that interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment